Sunday, September 14, 2008

First dive in Cozumel...

Shore Dive from Scuba Shack Pier 110ft/ 65mins/ 2100psi
I dove with Miguel, Petros and Jim. We got a 2 min ride on a little zodiac boat out to the coral wall which lies about 200 meters off the Scuba Shack pier. I cant tell you how nice it was to hit the water. I love the excitement of New Jersey Wreck Diving, the thrill of the currents in the St Lawrence and the adventure and beauty of cave diving BUT the serenity of this type of reef diving is what I love best. Its like a drug for me. Within seconds of rolling into the water my brain sinks into a very peaceful place. All of the worrying I'd been doing over the last few days/ months melted away. The wall we dove on was sparse in coral but I amused myself searching for my favorite creatures - Arrow crabs!And trunk fish:
Jim found a seahorse. I was overjoyed to see my first seahorse years ago in Indonesia. The initial thrill is short lived with these little guys as they don't really do much except slowly turn to face away from you because they are shy. Then Miguel found a little shrimp who had a fight with my finger nails (later I was told that this breed can give you a pretty nasty little nip - thankfully on this occasion I was spared!).
Miguel guided us perfectly to the Papa Hogs Pier (he later admitted that there had been a fair amount of luck involved in this). Just off the pier is an artificial reef - which looks like a fairy castle with turrets of tube sponges set around its perimeter and fish clustered in its overhangs like beautiful glistening mobiles. The water temp must have been around 84 degrees. LOVELY!

3 comments:

naidyfinn said...

well that doesn't sound like too bad a day by yourself!

i saw the football commentator John "Motty" Motson. not quite as good as an arrow crab :-)

Jose said...

So now I have to watch 2 blogs? Great!!

Anna said...

Sinbad - if I can dive every day I dont think I will ever be stressed again.
Jose - 4 if you include Hans' and Allie's